The tastiest – and spookiest – Halloween Dish
Whoever said “don’t play with your food,” truly is missing out in life! Food should be creative, colorful, and fun – not to mention, absolutely delicious. And what holiday cultivates the spirit of all these things better than Halloween? Inspired by Sweet and Simple Vegan’s recipe, here is our twist for deliciously spooky Jack-O-Lantern Stuffed Bell Peppers.
- Place quinoa in pot with 1 cup of water to soak
for 10 minutes
- Chop onions, garlic and mushrooms
- Begin to cook quinoa by bringing the water to
a boil then cover, remove from heat and cook for approximately 15-20 minutes (or until water has been absorbed).
- Sauté onions with extra virgin olive oil for 2-3 minutes
- Add garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 10-15 minutes – or until
- Lower heat to a slight simmer
- Add quinoa to veggie mixture along with parsley, salt
and pepper (to taste)
- While simmering, cut tops of bell peppers and remove seeds
- Carefully carve your jack-o-lantern’s face into the bell pepper
- When complete, scoop quinoa into the bell peppers
- Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes
The Daily Greens™ 4-Day Green Juice and Raw Foods Cleanse is truly a gentle, nourishing way to rid your body of unwanted toxins and to fuel your body to heal itself from the inside out! It may also help reduce your risk of chronic disease. So what’s not to love?
Through my personal experience, as well as my academic studies, I can attest to the powerful influence food has on our own health. In my early twenties, I was unexpectedly diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. With no family history of MS nor previous health issues, I was quite confused with this diagnosis. My doctor recommended injections and oral medications to keep symptoms at bay, but I wanted to find natural solutions. I soon turned to food in hopes to slow its progression and strengthen my body. I began removing toxic food-like substances from my diet and incorporating more raw produce, focusing mostly on leafy greens and other non-starchy vegetables. I also completed a green juice and raw foods cleanse very similar to The Daily Greens’ 4-Day Cleanse. Within a few months’ time, my symptoms began to dramatically improve, as well as my energy, balance and strength. Nearly eight years later, I owe my virtually symptom-free life to the power of raw foods and daily green juices!
By saturating your body with a wide variety of vital nutrients in their natural, raw form, The Daily Greens’ 4-Day Green Juice and Raw Foods Cleanse incorporates all the necessary components to detox your cells and rejuvenate your mind.
- Hydration: Throughout the 4-Day Cleanse, you consume water, green tea, and green juices and become a true hydration machine! These fluids assist the kidneys and intestines in moving the toxic build-up out of the body.
- Removal of Animal Protein, Grains, Alcohol and Caffeine: When you consume a variety of substances (fats, proteins and carbohydrates), the energy required to breakdown and absorb the available nutrients increases. The ones listed above, in particular, place a heavy burden on your body and can require as much as 30-40% of your body’s total daily energy! The Daily Greens’ 4-Day Cleanse gives your digestive system a break from those hefty compounds, because green juices are immediately digested (and require almost no physical breakdown) and raw fruits and veggies require very little of it. As a result, the typical energy required for digestion is used for toxin removal instead.
- Raw Fruits and Veggies: Unlike many other popular juice cleanses, the Daily Greens’ 4-Day Cleanse includes raw fruits and veggies. These contain large amounts of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, digestive enzymes and phytonutrients that support healthy detoxification, organ function, cancer prevention, cardiovascular function, and general health. However, when cooked, many of these vital nutrients are lost – either through heat or water.
During a cleanse, it is extremely important to maximize your intake of these vital nutrients because they cultivate a more efficient cleansing process and potentially alleviate the negative side effects that often accompany cleanses and detox diets (e.g. headaches, fatigue, stomach-aches).
In addition, raw fruits and vegetables are rich in fiber, which is a vital part of successful cleansing. It helps eliminate the accumulated toxins that would otherwise sit in your digestive tract, potentially causing cellular damage to your digestive tract and other bodily tissues as well as constipation and unnecessary digestive discomfort.
Your body is an incredible machine! Feed it well, and enjoy the energy and life you get in return.
Happy Fall, dear friends! The weather is finally cooling from the hot summer heat, and the leaves will soon begin to turn into beautiful Autumn colors. As the season changes, it’s the perfect time to jump start our healthy habits, reset our energy levels, and give our body some love with the Daily Greens™ Cleanse!
To help break down the basics of the Daily Greens™ cleanse, we have crafted this nifty infographic:
Here at Daily Greens™, we have a true passion for green juice! We wholeheartedly believe in the power of whole, fresh foods to heal the body and the planet. So we’ve created this Daily Greens™ blog to celebrate the splendor of living a healthy and conscious life, and to empower others to take control of their health!
On this digital space, you’ll find posts sharing tips, tricks, and hacks for the kitchen and beyond from Shauna Martin, Daily Greens™ CEO/Founder, Lauren Minchen, Certified Nutritionist, and Jessa West, Sustainability Guru.
A note from the writers:
Shauna Martin, CEO/Founder of Daily Greens
- At the young age of 33, I was diagnosed with breast cancer – only one year after my son was born. The multiple surgeries and chemotherapy left my body broken down and my immune system depleted. I knew something needed to change, so I began to research the powerful impact food has on our health. As a result I learned that not only could I heal my body from the after affects of my treatment, but I could also potentially prevent a recurrence of my breast cancer. Green juice quickly became the cornerstone of my new plant-based lifestyle!
Fast forward nine years, and I am completely recovered from my battle against breast cancer! I now feel healthier and more energized than ever before. My personal journey from disease to health has given me the passion to advocate for juicing greens as part of a long-term healthy lifestyle. It has also given me the wonderful and unexpected opportunity to write a book titled The Daily Greens™ 4-Day Cleanse, which will be released mid-March 2015. Through the Daily Greens™ blog, I hope to share ways you can also take control of your health through nutrition.
- As a Registered Dietician/Nutritionist in New York City and founder of Lauren Minchen Nutrition, I have a wide range of professional experience in nutrition-related diseases and conditions (e.g. eating disorders, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, digestive diseases, hormonal disorders, menopause, dementia/Alzheimer’s, cancer, autoimmune diseases, obesity, sports nutrition, pre- and post-natal nutrition). Recently, I completed my Masters in Public Health, a degree that strengthened my research skills and expertise in the development and treatment of chronic diseases. My ultimate goal with my work, whether it be on an individual or corporate level, is to make health and balance achievable and sustainable for life. I hope through my collaboration with Daily Greens™ on this blog, I can share the many health benefits of juicing and raw foods, and provide you with the guidance and assistance you need to live healthy and well.
Jessa West, Sustainability Guru
- I credit my reckless optimism and knowledge of all things sustainable to my extraordinary experience as 2011’s Top Finalist of Project Green Challenge, a month-long competition hosted by Teens Turning Green (TTG) that challenegse individuals to dive deeply into the environmental and societal impacts of our daily actions and habitual purchases. Since then, my focus has shifted towards food sustainability and its fascinating connection to a wide variety of global challenges – and solutions. I also have served on the Youth Advisory Board of TTG, the Sustainability Chairman of University of San Diego’s Be Blue Go Green team, and the Student Director of Communication and Outreach of UT Austin’s Office of Sustainability. Currently, I am working on my BA in Geography with an emphasis in Sustainability and BDP in Social Entrepreneurship and Non-Profits, while serving as Daily Greens™ Marketing Assistant. With the Daily Greens™ blog, I hope to share my favorite tips and tricks on living a conscious lifestyle and exemplify how we can all be the change!